We are the Wild Ones Oak Openings Region Chapter. Wild Ones is a national not-for-profit organization with local chapters that teach the many benefits of growing native plants. Previously known as the Toledo Chapter of Wild Ones, the Oak Openings Region Chapter was renamed to highlight the globally-threatened ecosystem, the Oak Openings Region of northwest Ohio and southeast Michigan. Located just southwest of Lake Erie, our part of Ohio is known for migratory bird watching, the Maumee River (the largest tributary in the Great Lakes Region), the Great Black Swamp, and the Oak Openings, a hotspot of biodiversity.
From September to May, our chapter meets on the second Tuesday of the month at 7:00 p.m. in the Nederhouser Community Hall at Olander Park, 6930 Sylvania Ave., Sylvania, Ohio. You are welcome to these informative and exciting programs by area experts and partners. Look at our Events page for information on upcoming programs. And see the Stewardship page to find events like seed collecting and cleaning, garlic mustard pulls, and native garden maintenance.
Here’s a sample of our recent chapter activities:
- Presented Wild Ones Native Landscape Awards to well-deserving native landscapes.
- Collected native seeds for the Toledo GROWS and Bowling Green Seed Swaps. Distributed over 750 free seed packets to the public.
- Hosted Meg Hanrahan for a screening of her documentary, Lucy Braun: A Force for Nature.
- Hosted Doug Tallamy and promoted his book Bringing Nature Home.
- Co-hosted Catherine Zimmerman and her documentary Hometown Habitat.
- Co-hosted Heather Holm for a special event celebrating pollinators.
- Presented three students the Denise Gehring Scholarship Award in which they received a one-year membership to Wild Ones.
- Partnered with Sacred Grounds in the Compassion Games. Our 50,401 volunteer hours during a two-week period led to Toledo being internationally recognized as one of the most compassionate areas in the world.
- Volunteered to help remove invasives from Wildwood Metropark.
Look at our events page for an event that interests you and come check us out!